Your vehicle


These are any changes (including factory-fitted optional extras) which make your van different from the standard vehicle specification. Examples would be alloy wheels, spoilers, engine modifications etc.


As the name suggests, imports are vehicles which were or are being brought into the country. This does not include vehicles that are brought into the UK from UK dealers. Generally speaking these fall into two categories:

  • UK specification vehicles - these are brought in from abroad (normally Europe) but match UK specification.
  • Non UK specification - these are brought in from abroad (normally outside of Europe) but don't match current UK specifications.

Drivers’ details

Main driver

The main driver is the person who uses the vehicle the most.

UK residency date

This relates to the time that you have been continuously resident in the UK prior to this insurance policy.

Annual mileage

Approximately how many miles you think your van will travel in total during a 12 month period from the policy start date.

Non-motoring convictions

These are criminal convictions which you or other drivers under the policy may have and which are not spent. If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose one or not then you should, and we will ignore it if it is not relevant.

Motoring offences

These are traffic offences such as speeding and drink-driving and will normally be found on your licence.

Accidents or claims

These include any incident which could give rise to a claim.

Fault/non-fault claim - what's the difference? Unfortunately, fault claims are not just those where you accept that you are to blame. The terms fault and non-fault relate to whether the insurer was able to recover all their costs from someone else. If they did not, then it is a fault claim even if you aren't necessarily to blame. For example, a theft claim is regarded as fault. Regardless of this fault / non-fault distinction, glass claims are considered to be non-fault if they occur without any other claim being made.

Policy details

Different levels of cover

  • Third Party Fire & Theft
    This is the same as Third Party Only but also covers your vehicle for damage caused by theft, attempted theft and/or fire.
  • Comprehensive
    This is the same as Third Party Fire & Theft but also covers your vehicle for damage caused accidentally or maliciously - as a result of an accident for example.

Different use types

These can be very confusing, the following should make the situation clearer:

  • Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting
    This is use for social purposes and for travelling to/from one permanent place of work (including part of a journey to work such as driving to a train/bus station).
  • Carriage of own goods
    In addition to social and commuting, this allows all drivers to use the vehicle whilst transporting business related goods such as your own tools.
  • Carry Goods for Hire & Reward
    Carry Goods for Hire & Reward (extends carriage of own goods cover to include/is) the transport of goods on behalf of other people (third parties) for payment i.e. couriers.
  • Haulage
    Haulage use is the same as “Carry Goods for Hire and Reward” but making a maximum of three deliveries per day (typically over longer distances).

Voluntary excess

The amount that you voluntarily choose to pay towards the cost of a claim. This is in addition to any compulsory excess that will also apply to your policy. If you choose a voluntary excess you will receive a discount in premium.

No claims discount

No claims discount (NCD) is the discount that you have earned for the number of consecutive years that you have not made a claim. For more information about how no claims discount and protected no claims discount work, please click here.

Your insurance documents

Statement of fact

The Statement of Fact is a record of the information you give us, on which your policy is based. A paper copy of this will be sent to you once you have accepted your policy. It is your responsibility to check this document and inform us of any errors. (Please see our Terms & Conditions for more details).


The document which identifies the policyholder and sets out details of the cover your policy provides.

Certificate of motor insurance

This document provides evidence that you have taken out the insurance you must have by law. It identifies who can drive your vehicle and the purposes for which your vehicle can be used.