Driving in the EU - Green Card process
The UK left the EU on 31st January 2020. Talks with the EU are continuing to be held to agree any arrangements that will need to be in place by the end of the transition period on 31st December 2020.
Currently, the two most likely Brexit scenarios are:
EU agrees to exempt UK residents from requiring a Green Card - The European Commission makes the decision to exempt the UK from requiring a Green Card to drive in the EU and EEA means we will not be issuing these to customers as your Certificate of Insurance will provide the required proof of insurance.
UK residents require a Green Card to Drive in EU / EEA - You will need to carry a Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law and may not be allowed to drive in the country they are visiting. Vehicles towing a trailer or caravan may need a separate Green Card for the trailer or caravan. Please get in touch with us as outlined below should you need a Green Card.
To check if you need to register your trailer please visit - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trailer-registration
- If you are travelling before 31st December 2020 and returning to the UK after 1st January 2021 - please contact us and we will arrange for a Green Card to be sent to you in case it may be required.
- If you are travelling after 1st January 2021 - please contact us 21 days before you are travelling and we will arrange for one to be sent to you if required.
Northern Ireland customers – if the outcome is still unknown at the end of November 2020, we will automatically be issuing a Green Card to all existing customers who have a live policy on 30th November 2020, with a policy end date after 1st January 2021, just in case it will be required. These will be posted out to you early December and will cover you up to the end of your policy. Any customers purchasing or renewing policies from 1st December 2020 onwards, please get in touch with us and we will arrange for one to be sent to you if required.
Please keep an eye on this page and the following websites for further updates around any changes to Green Card requirements.
- Driving Abroad - https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad
- International Driving Permits - https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit#driving-abroad-before-28-march-2019
- The Motor Insurance Bureau - https://www.mib.org.uk/driving-abroad-eu-exit/